Here are a few key things that retail restoration druids should know when playing vanilla/classic WoW
- Your HoTs don’t stack with other druids. So a tank (or any player) can only have 1 rejuvenation and 1 regrowth at a time. If you have 3 druids in your raid, and you all try to HoT the tank, you’ll just overwrite each other. Make sure your healing frames show who has what HoTs so you don’t waste mana overwriting each other.
- Mana is an issue, and you’ll want to rank down a lot of spells. This means casting a lower rank of the spell that costs less mana. You can use my rank down calculator.
- Your pots go on cool down right away, not when you drop combat. Depending on the length of the fight you can take multiple mana pots if needed. For this reason in a long/hard fight you should pot as soon as you have used enough mana for it to not be a waste. You will start the cool down sooner and may have it up again later in the fight.
- Your pots go on cool down right away, not when you drop combat. Depending on the length of the fight you can take multiple mana pots if needed. For this reason in a long/hard fight you should pot as soon as you have used enough mana for it to not be a waste. You will start the cool down sooner and may have it up again later in the fight.Dark runes/Demonic runes are a great way to gain extra mana in a fight
- HoTs can’t crit. So, while knowing your crit is useful for healing touch and the direct portion of regrowth, it does nothing for the HoT portion of regrowth or rejuvenation.
- Tranquility is only party wide, NOT raid wide. Makes it way less awesome in a raid.
- In retail you get 5% int bonus for using all leather. No such thing exists in vanilla, so if a cloth item is an upgrade… wear it!
Ranking down penalties:
- Your bonus heal (+healing) is scaled down based on the cast time of the spell, long cast times are not penalized but short ones are. This is the base cast time, you can ignore talents that reduce it (such as Improved Healing Touch.)
Actual plus healing = plus heal * (cast time/3.5)
- Your +healing is penalized for using spells you learn before level 20. Look a what level you learn the rank of the spell you are casting and use this formula:
1 – ((20 – lvl) * 0.0375)
So, for example a spell learn at level 2 would be (1-((20-2)*0.0375) which = .325 (so 32.5% of your spell power)
So, if you were to cast rank 2 healing touch you would be double penalized on your +healing. Once because you learn it at level 8, and again because its base cast time is only 2 seconds.
F*** you, Priests:
I’m mostly kidding. I guess. Priest’s passive spirit mana regeneration formula is Spirit/4 mana per 2 second tick. A druid’s is Spirit/5 mana per 2 second tick. They also have a talent that turns a portion of their sprit into spell power, or a talent to just increase mana.
Yes, a priest gets more mana from your innervate than you. But you kinda need it more. Use it wisely.
Where are these calculators?